Useful Resources & Tools
This section is designed to provide further tools, information and research about cultural competence in the UK and overseas.
- NHS Education Scotland. Dr Prescott-Clements is currently undertaking research into cultural competence training amongst dentists in Scotland
- Documents in the downloads box on the right hand side
- Ethnic Diversity Map
Cultural Competence needs to be considered within the context of the local population. To assist with this in relation to ethnicity we have developed a map to ethnic diversity across London overlaid by London NHS providers. Click here to access the ethnic diversity map
External tools and models
Tools (UK based)
- NHS Flying Start
Flying Start NHS is the national development programme for all newly qualified nurses, midwives and allied health professionals in NHS Scotland. There is a well put together section on diversity, patient autonomy, legislation and cultural competence with modules for students to complete.
- Royal College of Nursing
Information on RCN strategy on diversity and some resources. More available to members.
- Diversity in Britain, Joseph Rowntree Foundation – A Toolkit for Cross-cultural Co-operation
Not health specific but a good look at culture and how to maximise benefits from a city perspective.
Tools (Overseas based)
- National Center for Cultural Competence, Georgetown University
Various Cultural Competence Assessment Tools
- Think Cultural Health – A Physicians Practical Guide to Culturally Competent Care
- HRSA (Health Resources and Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services – Cultural Competence Resources for Health Care Providers
- The Commonwealth Fund – TACCT Tool for Assessing Cultural Competence Training
- The Center for the Health Professions – Various Tools Including: Language Skills Self-Assessment Tool and Toolkit for Collecting Race, Ethnicity & Primary Language Information from Patients
- University of Michigan Health System – Program for Multicultural Health – Cultural Competence Assessments
- Diversity Training Associates, Office of Multicultural Health, Sponsored by US Office of Minority Health – Toolkit for Cross-cultural Collaboration
- American Association of Colleges – Selected Resources including Cultural Competence Assessment Tools
- National Consumer Supporter Technical Assistance Center, US – Cultural Competence Toolkit
- The California Endowment – A Partner for Healthier Communities - A Mangers Guide to Cultural Competence Education for Health Care Professionals
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association – Self-Assessment for Cultural Competence
- Family PACT, US – PACT Linguistic and Cultural Competence Toolkit
- El Paso County Colorado Greenbook Initiative – Cultural Competence Organisational Self-Assessment Toolkit
- Government of British Columbia – Ministry for Children & Families – Cultural Competence Assessment Tool
- The Texas Health Steps Cultural Competency Web Based Long Distance Learning Program