Skip to content. Skip to navigation

I am not an EEA National and I'm medically trained overseas

In order to work or train in the UK you will need to apply for immigration status via the UK Borders agency:

You will need to obtain registration with the General Medical Council (GMC) which is the body which deals with the registration of doctors within the UK  This link on the GMC website is for International Medical Graduates.

Clinical Attachments

Unfortunately we are unable to arrange clinical attachments. 

Doctors use various methods to organise a clinical attachment.  It can be useful if you already have a contact working in a UK hospital, which is willing to supervise you on attachment or can refer you to a colleague.  Other methods are to approach the Human Resources Department, the hospital Postgraduate Centre Manager or the Head of the Department of the particular specialty in which you have an interest.  It is worth keeping in mind that it may be easier to get a clinical attachment outside of London.  There are more overseas doctors in London competing for clinical attachments.  Below is a web-link to a site that has contact details of all the NHS Trusts in the UK:

You may also wish to refer to: For convenience, you may prefer to look at the hospitals near where you are living if you are already in the UK.

Postgraduate medical training in the UK is provided in hospital training posts in the NHS.  These salaried posts are filled by open competition and are advertised in medical journals e.g. BMJ Careers and The Lancet. While in a training post, doctors will receive in-service training, academic instruction and may attend additional courses. 

If you require information about a particular specialty, you should contact the relevant College or Specialty Association directly. The College websites are listed here: